EWS Sonnenfeld - Bruck/Leitha (Lower Austria), Agri-PV reference plant
The 5 ha Agri-Photovoltaics research and demonstration plant is a cooperation project between Energiepark Bruck/Leitha GmbH and EWS Consulting GmbH.
As a particularly innovative "model and flagship project for photovoltaics", the EWS Sonnenfeld - Bruck an der Leitha was awarded by the Climate and Energy Fund's jury of experts in August 2021. After two years of product development, the project will start in October 2021.
Research and demonstration plant
Together with Energiepark Bruck and the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences as partners, research will be carried out in the pilot plant in the coming years to determine which plant cultures and forms of cultivation are best suited to simultaneous PV production.
Even though the technical PV components have already been tested for many years, there are still some outstanding questions regarding the combination with agricultural use. Among other things, a wide variety of technical designs of PV systems will also be used.
The project serves research and demonstration purposes for the market introduction of agri-PV systems on good arable land and grassland.
- In particular, this system is intended to test and optimise the current development status of the EWS Sonnenfeld® in practice for the agricultural use of different crops and types of cultivation. In order to be able to investigate the effects on electricity yields and agricultural yields, the movable module table rows will be installed with different centre distances: 8, 11 and 14 m centre distances (research zones 2-4).
- In order to be able to investigate the effects on biodiversity and the effects on agricultural yields accordingly, two reference areas are also considered: A fallow land (research zone 7) as well as an area that is cultivated agriculturally but on which no module tables are installed (research zone 6).
- To be able to compare the electricity yields of the mobile module tables with the electricity yields of permanently installed systems, a rigid south-facing (research zone 5), a rigid east-west double tables (research zone 8) and a rigid south-east-facing (research zone 1) are also set up on the project site.
- Furthermore, the higher and lower yields of bifacial and monofacial modules will be investigated for different flowering strip compositions and crops.
The solar field and the two reference plots will be equipped with various sensors and measuring instruments in order to be able to investigate the influence of diverse parameters, such as precipitation, water availability, soil moisture, partial shade intensity, photosynthetic radiation, temperature, wind speed, etc., on agricultural management and the yields of the different crops.
Eight research zones on the EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha
Research area: 5,5 ha, divided into 8 sections
- 1 - South-east orientation rigid slope 20°
- 2 - Sun field with 6 m cultivation width
- 3 - Sun field with 12 m cultivation width
- 4 - Sun field with 9 m cultivation width
- 5 - South orientation rigid inclination 20°
- 6 - Undeveloped reference area with agricultural cultivation
- 7 - Reference area fallow
- 8 - East-west orientation rigid inclination 16°
* You can see where the different zones are located in the occupancy plan.
Status: in operation since 10.11.2022
Project folder for download (in German)
Video on the management at the EWS Sonnenfeld®
explanation video EWS Sonnenfeld® (in German)
News articles (partly in German):
02.05.2023: "Climate Star" for EWS Sonnenfeld energy future project
27.02.2023: Spring Awakening at EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck an der Leitha
16.01.2023: "EWS Sonnenfeld in Bruck an der Leitha" receives Innovation Award of Lower Austrian Government.
24.11.2022: "Practical test at EWS Sonnenfeld® successfully passed!"
40.11.2022: "Grand opening of the EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha!"
13.10.2022: "It will hum and buzz, insects and small animals will cavort." In addition to electricity and agriculture, the EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha also offers biodiversity.
27.09.2022: "SONNENFÄNGER" assembly at EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha
23.08.2022: Construction work on the Agri-PV research plant EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha is in full swing.
14.07.2022: A colourful potpourri for the EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha.
27.06.2022: Implementation planning and component procurement for the "Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha" are completed.
03.05.2022: Groundbreaking ceremony of the "EWS Sonnenfeld Bruck/Leitha" - Agri-PV research and demonstration plant.
25.10.2021: The construction preparations for our "EWS Sonnenfeld - Bruck/Leitha" research and demonstration plant are in high gear.
07.10.2021: Project start Agri-PV research and demonstration plant "EWS Sonnenfeld - Bruck/Leitha".
Am I ready for hectares of solar power?
Request your free land check now!
An area of at least 5 hectares in size should not be a problem. Will it be suitable for agricultural photovoltaics?
I hope so and will do the "area check"!